So we drove to Chicago this weekend to visit Buy Buy Baby and a larger Babies R Us store. Man...I thought registering for the baby would be more exciting than the wedding. But it was very overwhelming! Buy Buy Baby is a great store, unfortunately, we don't have one closer. So makes it hard to register there. But I did get to see some of the options in person to help me narrow my decisions.
The best news is that I got to eat at my favorite Sweet Tomatoes!!! I love this place and usually eat it when in Dallas. Since I am skipping my annual Final Four preparation trip to Dallas this year, I at least got my fill in Chicago.
I began my registry at Babies R Us. Finally decided on a car seat and stroller and moved on. Still looking for some other necessities, man you need a lot for a baby. I also experienced yet another rude wheelchair encounter. As I pushed my way around Buy Buy Baby and then Babies R Us. It is amazing how people look at you in a wheelchair. Now being at a baby store, you would think people would assume it has to do with a pregnancy. Well there was little compassion. People constantly acted like I was in their way. It also amazes me because only about 75% of people are nice enough to open doors for you. The biggest disappointment came at Babies R us. So after people starring and acting as if I were in their way...I got the big one. I was sitting in my wheelchair up at the registry desk. No workers were over there in fact they were all around talking. Two other couples walked up to the table, one on either side of me. They sat down and waited. When the employee finally came up she acknowledged both of them and said nothing to me. Now granted I could not pull all the way up to the counter, as there were chairs in the way, but I was close enough for you to realize I was there to be helped. She proceeded on with each couple and then asked the one couple to move closer to the other so she could explain everything at once. Neither couple said a word about me being there, have you been helped, she was here first...NOTHING! The couple proceeded to move closer to the other, the woman not even acknowledging me, but the male looked at me as if he we in my way...well he was...he was about to sit in the chair directly in front of me! I have never felt so invisible in my life. It was horrible. I was even more annoyed at the two couples as I felt they knew I was there and said nothing and then one moved in front of me! So I lost it and pulled away and Pat was walking towards me at the moment and I burst into tears. I have never been treated so unfairly in my life.
WOW! Are we like this to those that are not like us? In a wheelchair, have difficulties, ect? I really hope not! It is really eye opening to me. It is not like I enjoy being in the wheelchair, although after my big meal it was a little nice:) HA!. It was very difficult registering because I can't reach things and can't get things out to really look at them like I want to. So you already feel different and challenged with the situation and then this happens.

No comments:
Post a Comment